Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free
Serves 6 to 8 people
When you try this über-creamy, dairy-free gelato, all the awesome autumn flavors unleash simultaneously in your mouth. The pumpkin and coconut base creates a sweet taste and thick, voluminous texture while the maple syrup and coconut sugar deliver a sweet, caramel flavor palette. The dynamic duo of pumpkin seeds and oil need to be in your skin care regimen, stat. Boasting cancer-fighting vitamin E and zinc, they also aid in the formation of new skin cells as well as collagen, which is responsible for maintaining the elasticity of your skin. Moreover, they’ve got free-radical-killing carotenoids and essential fatty acids to bring out that healthy, youthful shine.
Sources: 1. Ruano-Ravina A, Figueiras A, Barros-Dios JM. Diet and lung cancer: a new approach. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2000; 9:395-400.
2. DiGiovanna JJ. Retinoid chemoprevention in patients at high risk for skin cancer. Med Pediatr Oncol. 2001; 36:564-567.2. DiGiovanna JJ. Retinoid chemoprevention in patients at high risk for skin cancer. Med Pediatr Oncol. 2001; 36:564-567.
3. Zhang S, Hunger DJ, et al. Dietary carotenoids and vitamins A, C, and E and risk of breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999; 91:547-556.
4. Cook N, Stampfer MJ, Ma J, et al. Beta-carotene supplementation for patients with low baseline levels and decreased risks of total and prostate carcinoma. Cancer. 1999; 86:1783-1792.)
- One 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup young Thai coconut meat
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs organic virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), crushed, reserved for topping
- 1 tsp toasted pumpkin seed oil, reserved for topping
- 1/2 cup organic candied ginger, diced, reserved for topping (optional)
Blend all ingredients, except pepitas, pumpkin seed oil, and candied ginger, in a high-speed blender about 60 seconds, until very smooth and creamy. Transfer to a 2-quart automatic ice cream maker and allow it to mix for 45-to-50 minutes until thick and creamy. Top with the crushed pepitas, pumpkin seed oil, and candied ginger pieces, if using. Store any remaining gelato in a covered glass storage container in the freezer.
JASON’S TIP: Make sure that the metal bowl of your ice cream maker is completely frozen and chilled prior to using, or you won’t get the proper consistency during the churning process. You can also substitute fresh, roasted pumpkin in the recipe instead of canned pumpkin.
Jason Wrobel (aka J-Wro) is a graduate of the Living Light Culinary Institute with national certification as a Professional Chef and Instructor. An ethical vegan for nearly two decades, he has inspired millions of people worldwide to prepare deliciously easy and satisfying plant-based cuisine. The healing properties and outrageous tastes of his dishes have rendered his recipes hands-down favorites among celebrity clients and ravenous fans alike. His popular YouTube channel, The J-Wro Show, features hundreds of vegan recipe videos and vibrant living vlogs. As the first-ever celebrity vegan chef on Cooking Channel, his TV series How to Live to 100 merged healthy, vegan comfort food recipes with a humorous blend of sitcom skits and innovative animation. He is the author of the bestselling vegan cookbook and lifestyle guide Eaternity. Jason currently lives in Los Angeles with his rescued feline companions, Lynx, Clawdia and Figaro.