LEFTOVER SWEET POTATO BROWN RICE BREAKFAST PUDDING
Total time: 30 minutes Active time: 30 minutes Makes: 4 servings
When I first started learning about the macrobiotic diet, I was put off by brown rice as a common ingredient in many breakfast recipes—until I tried it. Starting my morning with hearty, filling, fiber-rich brown rice in the colder months helps me feel grounded, energized, and ready to take on the day. This recipe is a sweet, simple way to get your brown rice in first thing, and it’s even easier to make when you have leftover rice and sweet potato in the fridge. You can also make a big batch and reheat it for a few days.
- 1 medium roasted sweet potato (see below) or 3/4 cup puree
- 2 cups nondairy milk
- 3 cups Cooked Brown Rice (see below)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice (see below or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Nondairy yogurt
- Diced apple
- Chopped nuts
1. Scoop the flesh out of the sweet potato and combine it in a blender with the nondairy milk. Blend until smooth.
2. Transfer the mixture to a medium sauce pan. Add the Cooked Brown Rice and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the maple syrup, vanilla extract, Pumpkin Pie Spice, raisins, and salt. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
3. Serve warm, with desired toppings. Note: To roast the sweet potato, use a knife to poke a few holes in the skin, then bake at 400°F for 45–60 minutes, until tender.
COOKED BROWN RICE
Total time: 45 minutes Active time: 5 minutes Makes: 4 servings
- 2 1/4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- Dash of salt
1. In a medium pot, bring the water or vegetable broth to a boil over high heat. Add the rice and salt, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
2. Turn the heat off and let the rice sit for 5 minutes before serving. If you are not using the rice right away, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
Total time: 5 minutes Active time: 5 minutes Makes: Slightly less than 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Mix all the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.