by Chef Day Radley
Makes 8 burgers
- 2 cans of black beans
- 2 tsp veg stock powder + splash of water
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 Tbs freshly ground flax seed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds
- A tbsp of each - at parsley, coriander, oregano cumin
Himalayan sea salt to taste
- Put the water, stock powder, garlic and red onion in a large frying pan on a high heat. Put the lid on and let it bubble away until the water nearly disappears. Add a another splash of water and put the lid back on. Keep doing this until the onion and garlic are soft.
- Drain and rinse the beans and put them into a large bowl. Add all of the other ingredients including the garlic and onions. Using a hand blender puree the mixture until it is smooth.
- Put it into the fridge for at least one hour.
- Heat the oven to 200C/ 400F.
- Roll the burger mix out between two sheets of parchment paper using a rolling pin. Cut out the burgers with a large cookie cutter and place onto parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Bake for one hour.
- Allow the burgers to cool for 10 minutes, they will firm up a little so you can handle them without breaking.
- Heat a griddle pan on a high heat. Griddle each burger, being careful not to break them.
These burgers go well with guacamole, hot pepper sauce, baked sweet potato and corn on the cob. Yum!!!