Just because you’re vegan doesn’t mean you have to miss out on whipped topping! You can make this in just a few minutes. Thick, creamy, and luxurious, you won’t even want to remember what the dairy variety tastes like. This makes a great topping for puddings and ice creams, a wonderful cake frosting and mousse, or even a dip for a cookie. The uses are endless and the recipe is simple.
Makes about 2 cups (475 ml)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Just Three Ingredients:
• One 13.5-ounce can (400 ml) full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight (see Notes)
• 2 Tbs maple syrup
• 1 tsp ground vanilla beans
Just Four Steps:
1. Open the can of coconut milk. You will see a solid white layer on top. This is the coconut cream. Scoop that off and put it in the bowl of a stand mixer.
2. Add the maple syrup and vanilla beans to the mixing bowl.
3. Using a an electric mixer, whip the coconut cream for several minutes. Start at a slow speed and then gradually increase until you are on the highest setting. It should take 4 to 5 minutes of whipping to make the whipped cream the right consistency.
4. Use immediately. This is best when fresh, since it will harden slightly in the fridge.
• You must have full-fat coconut milk for this recipe to work. I have the best results with Thai Kitchen Organic brand.
• There will be some coconut water left over in the can of coconut milk. I freeze that in ice cube trays and use it for smoothies.
• If you want to add creaminess to savory dishes, you can make this cream plain; just omit the vanilla beans and maple syrup. Plain coconut cream is a wonderful addition to soups.
• If you want to make a chocolate frosting from this cream, just add about 1/4 cup (25 g) cocoa powder with the rest of the ingredients.